Apartment 323

Goodbyes are rarely as simple as they seem. Sometimes you can be deeply grateful for what's ahead while grieving what you're leaving behind.

My family is at the beginning of another goodbye in the near future, one that will probably require us to move from our small 950 square foot apartment in the Bay Area.

As I write that, I'm sure it sounds like something that should be celebrated. After all, who wouldn't want to move out of a small apartment? But this small space has been full of life.

I moved to the Bay Area right after we got married, and we lived in a one-bedroom apartment in the same complex where we still live today. Our life was full of adventure as we explored the beautiful redwoods, beaches, and all the fun spots in San Francisco. We were both working, so we ate lots of delicious food and checked off several bucket list experiences before having kids. We saw Hamilton in San Francisco, and my husband rented a convertible for my birthday so we could drive down to Big Sur with the top down.

Then baby number one came, and we jumped at the chance to move into a two-bedroom apartment in the same complex. The nursery was decorated with ocean animals and sea otters. It was the perfect little room for my son. Compared to our first apartment, this one felt enormous. We even had two bathrooms, which felt like such a luxury.

As my son grew, we created traditions and discovered our favorite places around the Bay Area. We walked almost every day to what we affectionately called the "frog park," where we had a regular crew of toddler boys. They brought sand toys and construction trucks, while the parents tried to teach them how to share. It was there that I found my own community and made friends alongside my son.

As he got older, many of those same friends started daycare and preschool. Our adventures expanded beyond the frog park as we discovered favorite walks to visit the miniature donkeys, hikes to the farm, and afternoons around Shoreline Lake.

Then baby number two arrived, and the apartment suddenly felt much smaller. Our bedroom became an office, a nursery, and our bedroom all at once. My son's room filled with baby essentials and girls' clothes. Eventually, the kids shared a room, learning to sleep through each other's crying, giggles, and tantrums.

Now my children have completely outgrown this apartment. It's overflowing with toys, kids' clothes, and the constant messes that come with raising little ones. But when I look around at the apartment I once thought was tiny and limiting, all I can see are the memories we've made here.

The first steps. The first words. The tantrums. The bedtime stories. The ordinary moments that quietly became the most meaningful.

This wasn't just an apartment. It became our home.

I used to think a home was defined by square footage, a big backyard, and enough bedrooms for everyone. Apartments were just placeholders until "real life" began. Instead, this apartment became the place where our real life happened.

When the time comes for us to move, they'll probably renovate our apartment and charge the next renter nearly double what we pay now. Someday another family will call Apartment 323 home. They'll celebrate birthdays, welcome babies, fold tiny clothes, and build memories in the same rooms where our story unfolded.

Change is guaranteed in life, and for me, grief often seems to accompany change. Moving somewhere with more space and the opportunity to put down deeper roots will be a welcome and grateful change. Even so, I'll always look back on my years in Apartment 323 with gratitude.

It was messy. It was chaotic. There was always movement. Apartment life encouraged us to spend our days outside, and with the Bay Area's incredible weather, that meant countless afternoons at parks, playgrounds, and neighborhood walks.

I'm preparing to say goodbye to my life in Apartment 323. Thank you for the memories, the friendships, the laughter, the sleepless nights, the first steps, and the ordinary days that somehow became the ones I'll miss the most.

Home was never about square footage. It was always about the people inside.

Comments

Popular Posts